The Truth is out there. And so is the need for more original X-Files paraphernalia that doesn’t include the previous quote…or flying saucers! Those are unlikely to blend seamlessly with most folks’ home décor. But some warm and fuzzy printouts of quotes with pretty fonts and backgrounds sounded promising. That was my thought process when I decided to make these X-Files quote printouts featuring some great lines from your two favorite FBI agents, Mulder and Scully. You’re going to want to hang these up in your living room.
When I was about six, the only truth I knew about the X-Files was that I didn’t like it. From weird tentacles popping out of places right down to the synthesizer-laden theme song, it scared the daylights out of me and I avoided it so I wouldn’t have nightmares. Nowadays, I find it more entertaining. Plus, Asa sleeps beside me and will protect me from any liver-eating mutants should they ever become a problem. If I can get him to wake up. 😉
Today’s tutorial is going to be more “techy” than usual but no less simple…because I don’t do difficult techy things. If you want to just print out your X-Files quotes printables, frame them, put them on your coffee table, and skip this next part you can do that! But if you want to learn how to make printouts like this of your own, stick around because I’m sharing that too. 🙂
A little background on my relationship with Canva: I didn’t know it existed before I started blogging, but I’m really glad I made its acquaintance! For those of you who are just now discovering it, Canva is a free online graphic design platform (read: a FREE way for you to make pretty things with pictures and words on the internet). There are lots of pictures and clipart that cost $1 each, which I have never used. I am cheap; therefore, I go out of my way to find all the free images and just use those. You can also upload your own images—something I do all the time—as another free option. Something I didn’t know till I started using Canva was that it’s not the greatest free tool out there for editing pictures. (If you need to do that, try iPiccy.com.) Canva is more about helping you organize previously edited images into finished products like menus, invitations, social media images, or fun X-Files quotes printables. We need those, right?
Holy cow, I’ve spent like a week thinking I had nothing to say about these printouts. Guess I was wrong… ha. Before signing out here, though, let’s talk about the bazillions of possibilities you now have at your disposal. For your X-Files quotes printables: frame them and fill in gaps on a gallery wall; print them small and give them out as valentines; print them on sticky-backed paper and put them wherever you want; roll one up, stick it in a bottle, and throw it in the ocean (<– Would you do that?) Oh, and uses for your newfound knowledge of Canva’s magic: make Christmas cards, weekly dinner menus, invitations to your birthday party, collages of family pictures…seriously your imagination is the limit. Have fun! (Oh and here is the link for your FREE: X-Files quotes printables.)
** I was not paid to promote any product or service I mentioned in this post. All opinions are solely my own and based upon my own experiences. 🙂
- a computer
- your great ideas 😉
- a printer
- an SD card (if you are using your own photos)
How to do it:
- Once in Canva, scroll down and choose “US Letter” under ‘documents’. I used this template because I wanted my printables to occupy one full 8×10 sheet of paper.
- Then, the screen will change (to look like the picture above) so that you have a black menu to your left and your white “piece of paper” in the middle. To find a specific image, type it into the search bar at the top left. I wanted something that looked like stars, so I typed in “bokeh”. The little white boxes in the lower right corners say FREE. Click on the one you want and it will appear on your “piece of paper”. In the picture you can see white dots on the corners of the picture I added. Click and drag them to make the picture fill all of the white space.
- Next you can add some text! Click on the menu option labeled ‘text’ on the left. A text box will pop up on top of the picture you just added along with another dark gray box. With this, you can change the font, size, color, and even spacing of your text.
- Now, to add a frame, click ‘elements’ and then ‘frames’. Scroll along till you find a free option you like. Click it and it will appear over your text and picture. Adjust its color and size the same as you did the picture.
- Finally, save your finished work to your computer by clicking the ‘download’ button at the top right. Then click the ‘PDF: for print’ option. Your finished printout should pop up in a separate window on your desktop, or you can search for it under ‘downloads’ and then save it wherever you want on your computer. Print out your creations and enjoy designing your own graphics from now on…for FREE!